So, how does CounterPunch work?
Begin by watching THIS counterargument lesson via YouTube. (You can use this clip with your students, or you can download the slideshow and lead it yourself.) Then, use the “CounterPunch” lesson materials to give students the opportunity to practice and master counterargument!
CounterPunch materials are immediately usable — just print, copy, distribute, and watch the magic unfold. Spanning sixteen pages, these materials include:
- A detailed and visually appealing “instructions” page
- A “practice round” (based on the ice cream metaphor in the video lesson embedded above)
- Five unique “boxing rounds” designed to provide students an opportunity to practice and master the counterargument (each round includes a scenario and six unique audiences/circumstances)
- A rubric to be used for self- and peer-assessment
What makes this counterargument lesson plan so special?
- First and foremost, it works!
- Built on a student-centered framework (revolves around collaborative small-group work and peer-assessment)
- Incorporates elements of game-based learning in order to spark and sustain student engagement
- Addresses the most prominent misconceptions and pitfalls associated with “counterargument”
TeachArgument represents the efforts of passionate educators across the country to inspire their students to become lifelong learners, thinkers, and lovers of literacy. All of our resources are consistent with this goal; every lesson and unit plan, every game, and every pop culture analysis was created with the intention of enhancing learning, deepening thinking, and fostering a love for reading and writing.
It is our pleasure to share this vision and these materials with like-minded educators. You will notice that our resources deal primarily with “argument” — that is, rhetorical analysis, argumentative writing, and critical thinking. We are fortunate to work with teachers at almost every grade level, college writing professors, school administrators, and educational researchers. In turn, our materials are privileged to have been impacted by each of their perspectives.
We build our resources on a Common Core framework, integrate the kind of thinking that is essential for success next generation tests, incorporate pedagogical strategies that align with new teacher evaluation frameworks, and all the while, hold true to the things we are most truly passionate about: literature, language, and learning.
More Products from TeachArgument
Sorry no more offers available